We review here the proper ways to clean a contact lens and contact lens case. This is not always as easy as it sounds. Many patients of ours rinse contact lenses in the sink (don’t do that), rinse contact lenses in their mouths (why would you do that?), and re-use their contact lens solutions (oh please don’t do that).
1. Remove the contact lens from your eyes with clean hands.
2. Name brand contact lens solution is added to the contact lens. One or two drops of solution should work just fine.
3. Rub the lens gently to remove any protein deposits that may have built up during the day of wear. Don’t press too hard, and rub for 3-5 seconds in a circular motion.
4. Rinse the lens over the sink with contact lens solution. This is to remove any of the debris that you may have freed from the contact lens by rubbing.
5. Put the contact lens back in its case, submerging the contact lens in fresh contact lens solution.
6. Seal the contact lens lid finger-tight, being careful not to catch the contact lens between case and lid!
7. In the morning, after you have put your contact lenses in for the day, dump out the old solution.
8. Rinse your case with tap water (note: you should never let tap water or pool water touch your actual contact lenses).
9. Leave the case on your bathroom sink to air-dry during the day. It will be dry and ready for your contact lenses when you get home! Make sure you replace your contact lens case at least every 3 months.
Taking care of you contact lenses is part of a healthy hygienic routine. We have seen some pretty scary contact lenses and contact lens cases. If you ever need a contact lens case, don’t hesitate to stop by and pick one up. Proper contact lens care assures that you will have healthy eyes and comfortable contact lenses!
Vista Eye Care is proud to offer Onirico Eyewear! This unique eyewear collection features eyeglass frames of sophisticated design, and a unique artisan quality that can only be the product of Italy. No appointment needed to browse this collection!